Translate

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Just a Christmas blurb.


So I said I wouldn’t write for a while (as usual) but I wrote this bit in my head during church yesterday and figured I’d share it despite it’s lack of shenanigans and such.

And of course I’ve included background music for you:



Sitting in a church that is even older than my home country, listening to the hushed murmur of a thousand foreign voices, and the bells above me began to ring announcing the start of the Christmas Eve service. As much as I love the sound of church bells from afar, hearing them from within the church was a whole new experience entirely. Muffled, although closer than ever, echoing off the walls, making me feel as though the sounds were coming from within my own head. The bells clanged, the voices lowered to just a hum, and the organist began. As the priest began speaking, the sun shone through the antique window landing directly on my face like a blinding stage light. In that moment, I found myself questioning whether there may actually be a “God” and if they were recognizing my current discomfort, my heightened emotions, my lone American-ness, my doubt, and this light was meant to single me out and welcome me personally. It was just a passing thought, and although I remain unconvinced, in the moment I was calmed by the idea.

As brief and relatively uneventful this moment may have been, I’ll remember for quite a while. God jul!

No comments:

Post a Comment